– “Abusive ad hominem (also called personal abuse or personal attacks) usually involves insulting or belittling one’s opponent in order to attack his claim or invalidate his argument, but can also involve pointing out true character flaws or actions that are irrelevant to the opponent’s argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and negates facts about the opponent’s personal character having nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent’s arguments or assertions.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
So what is this about several months ago September 12-13, 2011, I had a email exchange with one of the H2H (House 2 House) Church Leadership that until today I left unanswered. I will start with his last response to me when he said,
I also understand you are not open or even remotely prepared to engage in a true Bible based conversation but rather enjoy passing on your fear-based, fretful, uninformed “rejections”. That disqualifies you in the eyes of my generation as someone to be taken seriously. You are probably an angry, old and lonely man. I feel sorry.
You have cursed me. Let me bless you.
First of all, what was this short debate about? On the Beardsley Ministry home page I connected this gentleman to his own teachings that our dreams and visions are “Heaven’s TV” as proudly proclaimed on his own site and along as one of the leaders and fellow speakers with Frank Viola back in September 2011 at the H2H Momentum Conference:
“Heavens TV. When God speaks to you in dreams. How we learn to stop missing the real night show; practical introduction to interpreting dreams humans have from God – and how we in turn can become what God dreams of us (Starfish Edition, 2010)” Wolfgang Simson – on his site: http://www.simsonwolfgang.de/html/welcome.html
Again, Simson is a regular speaker at the H2H Momentum Conference and a teacher who also promotes the following on his site as well so you as the reader have the full context of what he means by dreams and visions: (Bold emphasis in red mine)
– Simson one of the key speakers is advocating interpretation of dreams to convert Muslims to Jesus, that they are having visions of a literal Jesus:
“Many Muslims, for example, report a vivid dream that had this message: A white person appearing to them in a dream, saying: “I am the way, the truth and life. No one comes to the father except through me.” Then they would wake up, wondering what this meant, and start out on a quest. A colleague of mine in Indonesia has been asking many thousands of Muslims a simple question: “Have you recently seen a white man?” Some would shrug, others would get excited and say: “Yes, indeed,” and he would go on to explain who that person in white clothes might be, and that he probably wants the very same thing from the human he gave a personal visit to than he had wanted from everyone else he met: to get up, follow him and become his disciple. This way, thousands of Muslims have been led to Christ.” Starfish Manifesto, page 511
– More Simson from his homepage showing he is on the same talking points as Neil Cole and Frank Viola teaching a Dominionist NAR theology:
“All the signs of the times indicate one thing: Jesus, the King of his Kingdom, is preparing his Bride for his return. In order for this to happen, Jesus has to do some intense housecleaning. Centuries of ill management, defunct teaching and blatant religious consumerism has created self-serving systems to cater for the spiritual needs of its members while they basically pursue a Babylonian concept of life: work and earn, pay taxes and burn! Gods word speaks of house churches – we built church-houses.”http://www.simsonwolfgang.de/betterthantheHippies.pdf (emphasis in bold mine)
This is very comparable to Viola and Sweet’s statement in the Jesus Manifesto:
” page 141 presents a different line of thought, “Jesus Christ cannot be separated from His church. While Jesus is distinct from His Bride, He is not separate from her. She is, in fact, His very own body in the earth.” [bold emphasis mine] Then on page 143 following some discussion on 1 Co 12:1-3 how “the church is Jesus Christ in corporate expression” The Jesus Manifestocontinues quoting the non-Christian Dietrich Bonhoeffer, who said regarding the church, [is] “Christ existing as community.” Later The Jesus Manifestosays, “Practically, this means that we know Jesus Christ through one another, not just by ourselves. We see Him, hear Him, touch Him, taste and smell Him through our sisters and brothers within whom He dwells.”
The Jesus Manifesto states,“The earth awaits a body of Christians in every city who will receive Jesus utterly and completely. A body who will esteem Him above everything else, giving Him His rightful place of supremacy” (pages 158-159). More information in summation below but this sounds like dangerous Dominionist teaching not found in scriptures! The other two references by Frank Viola to Bill Freeman and T. Austin Sparks…” fromThe Way of The Organic Church: Part 2
The email thread:
Apparently for me having an issue with God speaking to us in direct revelations by dreams and visions was too much for Mr. Simson.On 9/12/11 I get the following email from him and my responses follow in order unedited:
I hear you have a problem with interpreting dreams, as Daniel or Joseph did.
Why is this so?
My first response 9/13:
Wolfgang’s response same day:
You obviously do not know me and my lifelong stand for biblical inerrancy, bible-based-ness and the rejection of extra-biblical revelation that posese itself over and above biblical, final revelation.
So I am wondering, why are you behaving like that, are you hurt or angry about someone or something?
And what makes you think that rebuking someone like me based on me beeing in a room with, was it Frank Viola, would actually help anyone?
Your answers would help me place what you say and digest the strongness of your words.
Which country are you living and what church setup are you with?
My Second Response 9/13 answering the above by his points:
Now you are playing games with words to prop up dream interpretation for the NT believer. Your words are deceptive, perhaps you do not even realize it. Part of my testimony is I came out of New Age thinking, you are caught in its web and I will pray the God of the Bible opens your eyes.
You obviously reject the sufficiency of the Bible to accept dream interpretation as you do. I can see what you are teaching and know it is wrong plainly black & white according to scriptures.
Not angry, just a matter of fact to help Bible believing Christians from falling into snares being put out by false teachings which I definitely count you with dream interpretation straight out of New Age thinking.
You came to me based on the site where I merely quoted you to show the other way around, Viola’s association to you if he indeed adheres to what scriptures teach in these matters. It appears he stands with you. How does this help anyone, simple to mark and avoid Ro 16:17.
Your start of this discussion was on dream interpretation, I have answered twice your responses are unscriptural. You present questions in a way to prop up what you are doing is somehow ok for an NT believer, I flatly reject your argument. I have seen firsthand the damage teachings such as yours cause starting with confusion of young believers, if I have any hard feelings it is from that and knowing the source of such things are NOT from God. I have no choice but to quote these scriptures that follow and move on to fruitful things to continue to warn believers about those who teach things such as dream interpretation that the Bible warns against. If you later repent of what you teach drop another e-mail to let me know and we can pick up the conversation but until that day this is goodbye.
Titus 3:10-11 “ A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.”
John Beardsley, Beardsley Ministries
– an active member of a Local Independent Baptist Church near Greenville, NC
Wolfgang’s Final Response 9/13 from where I started and now answer:
OK, John, that helps to understand why you write what you write.
I also understand you are not open or even remotely prepared to engage in a true Bible based conversation
but rather enjoy passing on your fear-based, fretful, uninformed “rejections”. That disqualifies you in the eyes of my generation
as someone to be taken seriously. You are probably an angry, old and lonely man. I feel sorry.
You have cursed me. Let me bless you.
My Open Letter to Mr. Wolfgang Simson, Dated January 7, 2012
Because you are in a position of leadership within the House 2 House organization and a regular speaker at their conferences I believe I have a duty for others to see the nature of your slander leveled at me in the form of an abusive ad hominem attack in answer to your emails this past September 12-13, 2011:
1. You stated that I am “…not open or even remotely prepared to engage in a true Bible based conversation” when that is wholly how I have spoken to you, that is a falsehood and misleading. Because I did answer in a Biblical manner from my first response when I said,“You also ignore God’s warning regarding the dangers and deceitfulness of dreams and visions (Jer. 23:25-32; 27:9-10).” And that no prophecy is of private interpretation 2 Peter 1:20 says, “Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.”
2. You stated that I enjoy “…passing on your fear-based, fretful, uninformed “rejections”. That is a lie, God as the witness to my heart in this matter. You need to explain to the world of the Internet what you mean by that if you chose to answer this letter. If answering from the Bible is what you consider fear-based, fretful and uninformed “rejections” please define your accusations of me using scripture and not one of your dreams or visions to explain it in context with other scriptures as any good teacher or leader should. Remember what you said of yourself, “You obviously do not know me and my lifelong stand for biblical inerrancy, bible-based-ness and the rejection of extra-biblical revelation that posese itself over and above biblical, final revelation.” If you really hold this position how can you embrace the New Age teachings of personal dreams and visions as being God’s Heavenly TV for believers? Your statement is a direct contradiction to what you teach publicly – at best you are teaching the Bible PLUS extra-biblical revelation. I have shown a number of times the veiled distaste of the House Church leaders towards members of what they call “Institutional Churches” (IC) and see this also as a not so veiled attack that I am a member of a Independent Baptist Church that would adhere to Biblical doctrines versus the type of House Church you and Viola promote. While you say out one side of your mouths we love our IC friends you hate about everything that distinguishes what most define as the local Bible believing church.
3. You stated I am disqualified in the eyes of your generation because what? That I dare question you in accordance with the Bible? Explain yourself and how because a Bible believing Christian (myself) to the best of my ability, adheres to the written Word of God and does not rely on his personal dreams or visions disqualifies me from your generation? I read my Bible sir, believe you have it backwards and disqualify yourself as a leader of God, at least of the God of the Bible. I have difficulty taking your statements with much more than a grain of salt as the cliché goes because you never provided a credible response. I have prayed others do not take you seriously and be deceived by supposed dreams and visions which in all likelihood are deceiving spirits for those who reject the whole counsel of scriptures! It is why I write again to warn you of the dangerous grounds you are on! Perhaps you may repent as I did many years ago leaving my New Age thinking on the same topic! You are the one in a snare of the devil barking at and biting someone you cannot refute, because you are wrong.
4. You present that, “You are probably an angry, old and lonely man. I feel sorry.” Wow that was a new accusation for me, as a born again believer in of Jesus Christ 2 Co 5:17 foremost, happily married man of over 26 years, two wonderful children and two recent grandchildren, and a wonderful church family! I had to laugh, repeatedly and my wife with me. I do not do so mockingly but what you said is positively ridiculous!I point to more barking and biting… you are most definitely wrong. What you said is nothing more than a abusivead hominem attack – slander of my person. The fact that YOU, not I failed to answer in accordance with the Bible, and YOU resorted to lowering yourself to name calling by and ridiculous implications shows your heart is not right with God and disqualified to be in a leadership position of any kind in the Body of Christ. For that I have prayed for you over the last few months.
5. You state I have cursed you, if you mean that I said I called you a heretic for your unbiblical teachings, you have cursed yourself if you do not repent of them. I merely measured what you have said to what the Bible teaches is truth and pointed out the error of the teachings but you reject my warnings flatly. Your teaching of interpreting personal dreams and visions as if they are from God is patently dangerous New Age teachings as I shared through the one link I provided earlier as well.Christian Dream Interpretation?http://cicministry.org/commentary/issue119b.htm
6.You stated earlier of Jesus, “…during his childhood was often directed by angels appearing in dreams – how, exactly, is this extra biblical?” Please explain where that is in the Bible if it is not extra-Biblical in and of itself?
7. You bring another curse on yourself by breaking this commandment as well, Exodus 20:16 “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.” You have done this to me but I did forgive you and gave it to Jesus through prayer.
8. You share the stage with a number of other false teachers guilty of teaching egregious errors as mentioned on my site including Frank Viola and the writer William Paul Young of that blasphemous bookThe Shack if what you say of yourself is to become credible that you believe the Bible to be inerrant, and reject extra-biblical teachings than come away from them! Abandon the foolishness and repent and show you DO BELIEVE in the Bible! I MOST SINCERELY PRAY YOU DO! I would rather be qualified with God and rejected by your generation because you walk with a bunch of vipers who are self-deceived into the New Age, post modern, psychological, emergent church, hodge-podge of thinking without absolutes but redefines the God of the Bible into their way of thinking!
In closing I end with some more scriptures:
Proverbs 14:5 A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies.
Proverbs 25:18 A man that beareth false witness against his neighbour [is] a maul, and a sword, and a sharp arrow.
John 8:31-32 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, [then] are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
Proverds 3:5-7 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
ABIDE IN THE WORD OF GOD – NOT YOUR OWN WAYS!